Thursday 17 April 2014

One Last Fall


" There are times when I sit back and wonder what the very last journey of my life would feel like.. A journey, which I'd be called upon to make even if I am willing or unwilling.. A journey whose end is infinite like the horizon.. A journey which is never the end but another fresh beginning.. Yes! the divine journey to death... 
     'One last fall' is an insightful poetic representation of this sacred journey we all are destined to make on a fateful day of our lives.. "                  


                       One Last Fall

Here I was, my eighty five year old self, sitting by my window,
on the twenty first floor of the sky high gazebo.
 The city had its usual morning buzz,
every single person seemed to be in some or the other rush.
I heard my son and daughter in law leaving for their work.
So I with great difficulty rose up my arm to bid them adieu.
Every new morning I did that, my stomach would turn into a knot,
As I start wondering, how many more mornings have I actually got?
Hours passed by, as I sat there
Gawking upon the vista of those,
who were still running the race of their lives.
A flutter of wings grasped my attention.
I leaned over the open window to usher this visitation.
It was a breathtakingly ethereal dove,
 Perching upon the window’s alcove.
Possibly, dreaming of some far off love
Like me, sitting twenty one floors above.
My bony arm lifted the camera hanging round my neck.
Which was the only thing I had of the fervour of my  life ... the only keepsake.
With great difficulty I escaped the wheelchair,  
that supported my legs, that I no more sensed.
I leaned over the open window with all my might
That’s it! It’s the perfect shot downright.
My finger pressed the button and my body lost the even
Holy  Jesus! I was stumbling down the pane.
But where was that dove? It seemed to have disappeared.
Now my body was hanging in the air
With just five bony fingers to keep the scale.
“No!” I said, as a vague thought struck,
I turned to the camera.. the shot, it was perfect!
The only thing gone, being that mystique dove.
I cracked up, like a crazy old jerk
Yet the grief in those chuckles gave me a throbbing perk..
Yet, I knew the time has arrived for me to be gone
And so my   fingers achingly began the countdown, by slipping down
Five... four... three... two...one....
And so I descended the last odyssey of my life
There was an eerie thrill to that ecstatic ride
as I was inches away from the divine soil.
I closed my eyes when my cadaver touched the ground
experiencing that
One last fall, one last strive
One last memory, one last agony
One last tear, one last fear
One last beat, one last feat
One last hope, one last prayer for every soul
“Oh  mon dieu  ait  pitie  de tous..!”  Oh almighty! Have mercy upon all!!!....

No comments:

Post a Comment